The buckle was used during the First World War. The buckle is made of brass and coated with durable white metal (not paint). The coating is not erased and does not peel off with time, it can only be removed by heating the buckle in an oven.
The buckle has the correct (mirror) reverse. On the buckle is a crown in a circle with the motto GOTT MIT UNS (god is with us) and a laurel wreath. On the reverse side, the same drawing is pressed in, so it is done when stamping metal products.
This buckle is suitable for a belt of 45 mm width. In addition to a suitable belt from the First World War era. And it can technically be used with Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS and Luftwaffe belts, which are sold in this section.
Originally the box buckles came in a 50 mm width until 1895, when the width was reduced to 45mm, in an attempt to lighten the weight load of the field gear. This style of buckle was also used by the Prussian-dominated states of Baden, Oldenburg, Hansa and Thuringia. Initially the buckles were produced of brass with a nickel/silver face plate until 1914 when steel construction buckles were introduced.
The belt for the field uniform was originally of tanned leather, but blackened leather was re-introduced in 1915.
Historical information from germanmilitaria.com.